Saturday, March 19, 2011

What would I do if I won the lottery?

I am joining Lori at Family Tree May Contain Nuts for the writer's challenge.


 Today's topic is:
How would a massive lottery win change you besides the fact that lack of money would not be a problem any more?

I have not really day dreamed about winning the lottery, as I don't buy tickets. But it did not take me long to get  thinking, after reading  Lori's post. Assuming it was a very large sum, here goes:

What fun, crazy things would I run out and do?

Take all my teacher girlfriends on a trip. I'll come pick you all up.



Buy more dishes and flatware!



Do all those house fix ups.



Then when things settled down I would:


Although I would love a different home, I am not sure I could leave my yard and flowers. That would entail a lot of transplanting. NO, I would not just buy new plants, as a lot of them are heirlooms from family ancestors, and others are just my babies! (My flowers below:)




 But I bet I could be convinced to pot up and move somewhere warmer, so I could garden most of the year.( Would they let me live at Bellingrath Gardens?)


I would, though, buy an RV in a heartbeat!! We took a trip in an RV when the girls were little, and it was the ultimate. Cook when we wanted, our own beds each night, it was like having a playhouse on wheels! There is still so much of  America I want to see, and to me that's the way to do it.

 Did this:

Want to do this:


Would I retire from teaching? Yes, but I would need to have a contingency plan, as I need to be around students. Maybe I could do some volunteer work at the high school, and set up a scholarship program to encourage students to do volunteer work. Every young person needs to experience volunteer work. It helps develop character. I also would become an emergency foster parent. There are many times that my students have needed a place to go, and would have come home with me, had I been  licensed. I should look into  that anyway, lottery or not.

The best thing I could do for my 2 daughters would be to pay off their student loans, and then give them a determined amount of money, some for fun, and some with the assignment of finding a charity they want to permanently  be involved in.



Charities? Oh, there are so many worthy ones, but my heart and money would belong to animal shelters.


SO, there it is. The ramblings of a very practical person allowed to daydream, scary! SO, back to the question   How would a massive lottery win change you besides the fact that lack of money would not be a problem any more?

After reading the above, I must say, I would be more responsible in what I consider my duties to the things I think are important. I did realize I can do much of this WITHOUT the money I thought I would need. Not having money can become an excuse not to do some things. However, I could sure have fun with a lottery win, for others as much as myself!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hope you get that RV! Foster a Future sounds like an amazing, very worth while cause! Happy Weekend:@)

Lori E said...

I love this entry to the Writer's Challenge. You really hit the nail on the head...except for the RV part. Ha, ha! I wouldn't be doing that at all.
Thank you so much for joining in.

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you have it all planned out! Love the flowers.