Sunday, June 5, 2011

Strawberry dishes for strawberry shortcake

As long as I can remember, I have strawberry memories. When I was a little girl, we would go out to a little town in the river bottoms (the BEST farming land) and pick strawberries. Then we would have strawberry shortcake two to three times a day for dessert as long as the strawberries lasted.

As a young, stay at home mother, I planted a large strawberry bed in the back yard. At one point, we were picking 20 flats of strawberries a season. I remember the summer my daughter turned 2, she would run out to the patch in her diaper and pick strawberries to eat. The trouble was, she picked the green ones and then tell me she didn't like strawberries!

So when I learned of a new place to get strawberries about 20 minutes away, we hit the highway.


One acre of strawberries on raised beds. Wonderful!




You could smell the berries on this humid muddy day.




  I found these beautiful strawberry bowls at TJ Maxx, and I had to have them.


There is a cute little honeybee on each piece.


And I found these napkin rings on Etsy. They are Avon.


Now, what you put in these bowls is as varied as the number of strawberry varieties. Ask anyone what strawberry shortcake is to them, and they have a definite opinion. Some like pound cake slices, some like the little sponge cakes from the grocery store, still others like the sweet biscuit type cake made at home.

My mother made a pan of shortcake from the Jiffy Mix box, so that's what I make.



Some people insist on Cool Whip, some real whip cream, and others, like myself, use  cream on strawberry shortcake. It's all in what you grew up eating! SO, what's your strawberry shortcake like?

Here's a fun site that tells of the history of many foods. Check out the article on strawberry shortcake.

The Kitchen Project


Today I am joining Marty at 




4 comments:

Pam Kessler said...

You're making me want to go pick strawberries today! I like mine totally naked. Not even on shortcake, just straight off the vine.

Anonymous said...

We love ours with sweet biscuits and whipped cream!!! YUM!!

Unknown said...

Oh! I saw some of these sweet dishes this spring... I so wish that I would have gotten them now. :)
I love real cream and sweet biscuits. :)

Have a great week!
~Liz

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts. I must have real cream, but like any cake. I saw these dishes at T.J's and was so tempted to buy them. I have so many cherry dishes that I thought, "I can NOT start another collection." I have a bad dish fettish. They are so sweet, and look even better with your delicious strawberry dessert!
(Popped over from TTT)