Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer Reads

Books are an escape for me, a vacation, so I like happy, interesting books about people who live somewhere I have never been. Think Under the Tuscan Sun. 

 When I recommend books to read, you must note that I am not picking from the best sellers list. I do not read the disturbing  blood and guts mysteries, nor any vampire or shades of gray types. I don't read biographies of screwed up people. SO, now is the time to quit reading this post if the above are your choices.

Today's books all have a beachy, vacation feel to them. 




Being land locked in Kansas....
(no, it's really not that bad)

I want a fun-filled vacation, get away read. 

I am reading constantly, having 2 books going at once, and maybe an audio book too,  but this last one I read really is staying with me. Do you ever read a book and then keep thinking about the characters, wanting to still be a part of their lives?


Porch Lights takes place on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina. Three generations are together in the family home, and little Charlie (10 years) and Glam (Glamorous Grandma) steal the dialogue. Funny, heart wrenching, with lots of descriptions of island life there. I liked all the characters, and although the ending is predictable, it is a good summer read.

In addition, when I travel, I listen to audio books in the car. I picked up Porch Lights, the audio,  at the library for my mom, and I must say the reader is EXCELLENT.  This is the book you want to hear! Let someone tell you this story!

I am also reading The Mermaid Garden by Santa Montefiore.


Set in modern Italy and England, the author provides a lush, tranquil atmosphere and wonderful characters you want to know.  The story is set at a beautiful old estate on the English coast. :You come to know the family who own the hotel, as well as the guests who come and go.  Italy is drawn into the book with a corresponding story that brings all the characters together.

I have read several books by Elin Hilderbrand and Summerland does not disappoint.



Taking place in Nantucket, the author's home, the story follows the lives of three families with teenagers  who all live there year round. In a close-knit island community, a teenage car accident defines and changes the lives of these families. A  more serious summer read, Hilderbrand draws you into each families' dynamics, as she tells the story through several different characters point of view. 

Tell me what you've been reading this summer and if you've read any of these books. 

I am linking to 



5 comments:

Barbara F. said...

I do want to read the mermaid book! I am with you on books, I want to escape and relax and maybe learn something worthwhile, not recoil in horror and have nightmares! xo

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Each of these sound like an interesting read.

Babs said...

Pat, Love your book recommendations. I'm so ready for DB Frank's latest and looking forward to The Mermaid Garden. Thanks sooo much. Great post!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

These all sound good! The only reading I've been doing lately is blog reading. I'm always buying books at the resale shop and have a huge pile to read. My reading tastes are very eclectic. I even love to read cookbooks!
Thanks for the book reviews!

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper