Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I'm Reading in January

Mary Kay Andrews is one of my favorite authors, due to her choice of southern locations and humor in her stories. I just finished HISSY FIT and it did not disappoint me. Cute and fun, a young woman in the interior design business is busy with a Greek revival mansion when  life begins to happen to her. Many interesting details about the rehabing of the mansion. As always, Mary Kay Andrews includes quirky characters to interact with the young designer.


I am also reading a Dorothea Benton Frank book called The Land of Mango Sunsets.



It takes place in Manhattan, NY and  Sullivan's Island, SC. The main character is a 40 something single lady who can't quite find her comfortable place in the world. Great characters, funny, odd and entertaining. I don't like all Frank's books, I read one recently ( I can't remember what one, now) that I couldn't get past the first chapter because I didn't like the main character, but this one's a good read. I read for ENJOYMENT and this one makes the grade. I want to go to Sullivan's Island!




                            Buy The Friday Night Knitting Club

This Kate Jacobs book was interesting, but not fantastic. I usually just don't mention books that I don't think are really, really good, but I did like the yarn shop setting. I am not a knitter, but I found it an interesting venue.Several women of different ages and backgrounds come together in the beginning in an uncomfortable knitting group in a yarn shop. They develop relationships as they spend time together, and there are lots of storylines. The story was good, but the characters could have really been developed more. I just didn't care about them. There are two more sequels of this book, if it strikes your fancy.

Julia Roberts was supposed to star in and produce this, and as of the summer of 2010, it still was not out, nor any other stars listed. Maybe it will be a better movie.

No comments: